http://www.southernstudies.org/images/sitepieces/Money%20stacks.jpgSince we decided to adopt one of the main things that has been a source of concern (for me primarily) was money. Since I have been adult I can say I feel pretty responsible with money. I like to save and budget. I can feel ok about that. However that makes it harder to wrap my mind around the amount it will cost to adopt.
At the same time I wonder why I am even nervous about the idea of how much money it would cost us to adopt. I can think about so many things in life that I wondered "how in the world: I was going to afford:
1. Paying for my gas in my car (pre- high school graduate)
2. Paying for College
3. Renting my own apartment (paying my own rent-before having a "real job")
4. Getting married while both Derek and I were still in college.
5. Buying a house.
Yet you know, no matter how much I worried, God provided. God has always provided. That doesn't mean that things will always work out. However I feel I can find peace in knowing this.
I think of all the things we might not think are a big deal to spend that kind of money on: cars, homes, jewelry, vacations, and perhaps an excess in shopping or other material possessions. What kind of good is any of that doing? How is that helping to further the messages Jesus left us with?I too am guilty of worrying about such "stuff" or material things that we hope to bring some sense of enjoyment. Therefore I know that I can do without a night out to dinner or a new shirt here and there. The stuff that I have at times based my life around brings such a false sense of security. I know that no matter how much "stuff" I need to give up, that nothing can compare to the cost that Jesus paid. That nothing can compare to the precious lives that can be saved.
Orphan Sunday from Greg Buzek on Vimeo.